Thursday, September 12, 2013

Learning another language..

"Ich habe sieben Geschwister"
is very different from
"Ich habe sieben geschwitzter"

One is talking about siblings and one can be mistaken as referring to your sweat.
Funny how just mixing up 2 letters can make that much of a difference, but very important indeed haha

I found out this critical information as we were recording for our introduction videos for the team. Yes I do sweat a lot but I would rather not go around talking about that, bragging about my siblings is much more enjoyable :)

In the video I finally say it correctly, although you don't see the 18 cuts beforehand when I could not teach my tongue to spit out 'wister'. Rather it was 'witzer'.

But this is how you learn another language. Repetition. Over and over and over again.

It is the reason why at this point my German language repetoir consists mainly of volleyball lingo. Because after hearing practices twice a day every day in German, you tend to hear certain words repeated and then they become embedded in your memory bank.

After being 1 year in Germany, I have to say I am impressed with how much I have been able to pick up but I still have a very long long way to go.

One of my biggest pet peeves about Americans is our ability to speak one and only one language. Many of the europeans I come across are minimum 2 and most often up to 4 or 5. It's mind blowing. And awesome.

So on I continue learning the language, but not without many more laughs to come with common mix ups of sweating and siblings, this I can always count on :)

Here is the final and correctly spoken cut of the video! Enjoy!

This past week has been full of introducing the team to the city, sponsors and press! 

Pictures, pictures and more pictures! 
At the press conference

The harbor..one of my favorite places in the city!

Check out the new Copper girls 2013 :)

We took a boat through the harbor to our press conference.. rainy but awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment